Wednesday, February 22, 2012

no reserve, no retreat, no regret.

Hernando Cortez Pizarro was a Spanish explorer and conquistador. Born in 1485 to Spanish nobility, Cortez performed dismally in his law studies, opting instead to become an explorer in the new American lands. He is known for overthrowing the Aztec Empire and winning Mexico for Spain. 

After living in the Caribbean for many years, Cortez received permission to lead an expedition into Mexico. Upon landing in the New World, he burned all of his ships. It was a signal to everyone in his mission: turning back was not an option.

~~~
For a history project a couple weeks ago, I wrote an essay on Cortez and his impact on the development of the Americas. Something that struck me was his commitment to his cause. Giving up was never even on the table. He isn't the perfect example: his cause was his personal gain, and many of his methods compromised his integrity - but it made me think. If someone can be so committed to a selfish end, and they can devote their entire life to completely pursuing that objective... what would happen if we completely devoted ourselves to pursuing a good and holy goal?

My goal is to be given completely over to God, totally surrendered. No reserve. I am resolved that regardless of what others do or say, regardless of what happens to me, this is and this will remain my choice. No retreat. I will always make mistakes – I’m just not perfect. But I determine to serve God with all my heart, and I determine to always give 110% towards my principles, my absolute best. No regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment