Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years/Haircuts

I thought for a really long time, but I couldn’t find anything suitably interesting to post about for New Year’s – my apologies. ;) My New Year’s was super relaxed, which I like, but which doesn’t lend itself to funny blogging.

In the evening, I did debate work, getting distracted partway through and watching the Times Square celebration. Then, my parents and I did a puzzle and listened to rock music until midnight. ^_^ At midnight, we went out to the backyard, and danced around with sparklers we bought approximately five years ago. When we came back inside, we transitioned to country music and resumed the puzzle, until I spilled Mom’s chocolate banana smoothie on the pieces. We frantically cleaned up the pieces, dried them with a diffuser, and puzzled some more.

Eventually we got tired and went to bed.


Anticlimactic, I know.


Because if that story was a person waiting for the bus, it would be an average middle aged person going to Walmart to buy toothpaste and iceberg lettuce, and a good blog post would be an eccentric college student with a neon green Mohawk wearing combat boots and going to a swing dance, I thought I’d tell you about my experiences at the haircutting place. (yay long sentences!) It doesn’t really rate at the level of neon-green Mohawk kid, but it’s a little more interesting than boring Walmart shopper. ^_^


I was super excited this week, because I got a hairstylist who had gone to college to study for a medical degree, been part of a class where she participated in debate (yay!), and was friendly without interrogating me about my social life. =P

The last girl who cut my hair didn’t really talk at all, which was okay with me. The one before her chit chatted the whole time, referred to herself as a troublemaker, talked about her boyfriend, and gave me a very important piece of life advice: “Seriously, if I can tell you one thing, you shouldn’t drop out of high-school. Like, seriously, life will be so much better.”  She asked me what I wanted to do with my life, and after I explained that my cousins were in the arts, but I wanted to do something more academic, she summarized this choice as “So, basically you were like, ‘screw you guys, I don’t want to be like you.’” Yeah, not exactly. =P

Maybe it’s just me, but whenever the question “so, where do you go to school?” comes up, I cringe. Homeschooling. People never know what to do with it. You usually get one of two reactions: 1-They’re super confused, and you have to spend a bunch of time explaining co-ops and that you do in fact have a social life. Or, 2-They tell you all about a distant cousin who homeschools, leaving you in a super awkward position. Occasionally you get someone who was homeschooled, or is familiar with the concept, and doesn’t think you’re insane. That’s always so nice.

I have two distinct memories of haircutters from when I was little. I was probably around 9 years old, and this girl was asking me about cute guys at school, and whether I had a boyfriend. Yeah. Probably not the best way to endear yourself to a little kid. I thought she was lame, and I basically stopped talking for the rest of the haircut.

The other memory is the one time I had a guy cut my hair. I was a little older, probably 11, maybe 12. He seemed like he was grasping for conversation topics, and he asked what I thought about Twilight. I answered vaguely that I wasn’t into vampires. I was expecting something along the lines of trying to convince me how awesome the series was, and how I should read it, and how hot Edward was, so I was pleasantly surprised when he let out this huge sigh, and said “GOOD. I don’t even understand that obsession, and I don’t know what I would’ve said if you went all fan girl.” I was amused.


This feels like it was a really long post, which I wasn’t aiming for, but whatever. I always come back from getting my hair cut with funny stories. We have this haircutting school right by our house, so they’re all college-age. It’ll always be an adventure… =P

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh. I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as "not suitably interesting" in the life of Shrimpy. ;)

    ReplyDelete